Tuesday, June 25, 2019

5 - 3 = 2 : God Is So Good

5 - 3 = 2 : God Is So Good

     Church buzz.  Why doesn’t she corral him?  Disgust.  “If my kid acted like him I’d…”  “Why should she be able to let her brat run the aisles?”  With frosty disdain they insisted she must get counseling.


     In my office she was upbeat and smiling warmly.  Pleasantries done, I kindly asked her about her life.  I needed a history before nosing into her Son’s behavior.  Something
about her eyes spoke: Tread Carefully.  Very carefully.


     When she mentioned her many children I was puzzled.  She only had a crippled child in a wheelchair and Dennis the Menace...right?

     “Heidi, how many children do you have?”

     “Five. I have five blessings from the Lord.”

 
     “Five? I’ve just seen two.”

     “The others don’t live here.”

 
     “Where do they live Heidi?”

     “They live in Heaven.”

 
     “Heaven?”

     “Yes; God is so good!”

 
     The lump in my throat blocked my voice.  I gestured...please continue.

     (Her first baby)


     “The Nurse whispered, ‘I’m so sorry,’ as she lifted him from my breast. I cried and asked, “Why is he so quiet...Is he just cold?” ‘Sweetheart’, she softly spoke, to me, ‘he’s in Jesus’ arms now.’"

 
     (Her second baby)
 

     “Jenni lived for three and a half days.  They...said her little heart gave out.  She’s in Heaven now.”
 
     I was nearly mute...but whispered: “Your heart must be so sad...heartbroken.”

     “Oh No! God gave me another baby.”

 
     (Her third baby)


     “God gave me Danny...such a bubbly little guy.  I nursed him. Cuddled him.  Loved on him.  God is so good.  But then he choked or gasped and a monitor started beeping.  The nurse rushed in.”  Softly she breathed: ‘I’m so sorry,’ as she lifted him from my breast.  I wept.  Couldn’t stop.  I begged her: I want to hold him.  Don’t take him from me.  I’m his Mother.  I need my little boy.  Please...give him back.”

     “Honey, I knew you’d ask but…”

     “Please lay him in my arms. Please!”  My tears wouldn’t stop. They couldn’t take Danny away.  They must be wrong.  I knew he just needed his Mom to hold him tightly.  Please Jesus help him breathe better.  Make him OK.”


     Heidi quietly said, “I must have cried myself to sleep.”

 
     (Her fourth baby)


     “Tell me about your little girl in the wheelchair, Heidi.”

     “God is so awesome cause in a year he gave me adorable Maggie.  And she didn’t die.  I held her and she smiled, cooed and cried tiny tears.  She is so sweet.”

 
     “Why is she in a wheelchair, Heidi?”

     “She has spinal bifida.  They think she’ll go to Heaven in a few years.”

 
     (Her fifth baby)
 

     My supposed objectivity had fled, replaced by empathy. “When did Tyler come along?”

     Excitedly Heidi gushed, “Almost two years after Maggie.”

     “He seems really healthy.  How is he doing?”

     “He is perfect!  The best boy on God’s earth.  I can’t say Thank you enough and I praise Jesus every day.  I am so blessed.”

 
     Her smile flashed beams of sunshine as she left.  Never will I forget her final words: “God is so good!”

 
     Now when he runs up and down the aisles my soul silently cheers him on.  Run Tyler!  Run!


"Taste and see that the Lord is good." Psalm 34:8a, NIV

Please comment by
clicking "Comments" below.

3 comments:

  1. WOW, what a Story. Such tragedy and loss! I think if we knew the shoes some people walk in...we would never demand that they did anything more "Than Praise The Lord!" Thank you Dr. Smith for your empathic heart!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. From the first time I met you at Minnehaha I was captivated by your stories and the way you presented them. Hooked us in every time. And now when speaking is hard for you, you are sharing your stories in writing.I especially loved the one about the active little boy. Thank you so much for sharing. I’ll keep reading as you keep writing....hugs to you, Marian
    Regards,
    Marian

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eva Peck
    I just shared on my Facebook page your story of the lady who lost three of her children, one had a disability and the last one was judged by church people for his liveliness. It has such an important lesson and reminder for all of us not to judge without knowing the person's situation -- and when we do learn it, more often than not, we'll respond with compassion rather than judgement. And besides, Jesus exhorts us not to judge, period, because often we judge incorrectly and will also bring judgement on ourselves."

    ReplyDelete