Thursday, July 11, 2019

God's Angel Named "Anonymous"

God's Angel Named "Anonymous"


I first met Faye Harringer in Butler Missouri. He was a built man with a crushing handshake, charming wit and a hearty laugh.  He was in a wheel chair with just stubs for legs.  His wife tried to help him onto a pew but he said determinedly, "No. I can do it."
And he did.


I was surprised when he got behind the wheel of his Ford to drive home.  Later I learned he had improvised hand controls to make it possible.  His son, Donald, became a close friend and shared many remarkable stories about Dad.  "Though he never says anything I know he really wishes he could afford artificial legs."  

I marveled over and over about Faye's dedication.  He never missed church.  Sunday morning, Sunday evening and Wednesday night his faithfulness encouraged us all. 

Months went by and one Sunday morning with a wink and a grin Faye asked for a favor.  He needed to go to an appointment in Kansas City Tuesday.  His engaging personality made the trip very enjoyable.  On our return he beamed.  "I'll get 'em in three weeks. Can you drive me again?" 

Time flew by. Returning to Kansas City he anxiously said, "You're not going to believe what you're going to see."  He was absolutely right.  My jaw dropped.  My heart pounded.  My eyes fastened intently on the new Faye.  He walked out of the office on two new legs.  Smiling he told me to look at his feet.  I did and was shocked.  The legs were quite short and had attached shoes...but they were on backwards.  The heels were in front and the toes in the back. 

On the way home he explained the purpose of the backward shoes. "They decided that I was more apt to fall backwards and the longer-rear toes would help prevent that."  The uncanny design still amazes me. 

No longer did he use a wheel chair.  He proudly walked into the sanctuary.  I freeze framed that moment.


Arrangements had been made by and paid for by Anonymous.  Faye always praised God for Anonymous.  Does the Lord provide for His people?  A resounding Yes! 

"Taste and see that the Lord is good.
 Oh, the joys of those who take refuge in Him." 
(Psalms 34:8, NLT)

"God, You're So Good" sung by the group - Passion:



Please comment by
clicking "Comments" below.

2 comments: