Sunday, October 20, 2019

Mom's Nuclear Tantrum Boomerangs

Mom's Nuclear Tantrum Boomerangs

     I drove the 7 miles to visit Maude, our oldest and sweetest widow.  She was 76 and still spry as a spring chicken.  When younger her testimony had led friends to the Lord.  Children loved her Sunday School class and invited their friends to join them.

     Across the street was a family of four.  Maude frequently  made peanut-butter cookies and other treats for them.  "After all they are my neighbors."

     They grew to love her.  One day as Maude handed Theresa a plate of cookies she invited her to church.  Theresa quipped, "Oh, if I ever entered a church the roof would cave in."  Maude genially responded, "Well how about your children? They could join me when the preacher gives me a ride on Sundays.

     "That might be OK.  They could certainly learn to behave better"

     Sunday when I picked up Maude two beaming faces climbed into the back seat.  Maude introduced us and I felt a connection.  Riley age 15 and Leona age 11 were actually excited to be going to church.  They had school mates who attended.

     I picked them up Sundays for about a year and a half.  Leona fit in well socially.  Riley was more serious and asked many questions.  It was clear the Lord was working in his heart.  A visiting minister, Rodney Reyman was speaking Sunday night.  Riley's Mom said, I guess it'll be OK for you to go."

     After a heart-touching sermon Riley responded to the invitation.  With tears flushing his cheeks he said that he wanted to be baptized.  Knowing Riley, though 6'1", was a minor, Rodney said, "We better get his parents permission."

     It was a cold and dark winter night. We drove to his home, but it was dark.  Riley said, "Oh, they must still be at the lodge."

     "Can you show me how to get there?"  Riley nodded and pointed the way.

     As we twisted up the long gravel road I pondered just what to say.  Riley said, "That's it" as he pointed to a building nearly hidden by fir trees.  Christmas lights dangling from the porch were all the exterior lighting I could see.  But the parking area had a lot of cars.

     As Riley and I headed to the door he said, "My Dad plays the piano and my Mom's probably dancing."  He was right on both counts but I couldn't believe my eyes nor hear anything.  It was a huge crowd rocking to ear shattering music with the pulsing stench of booze and cigars.

     Riley's Mom saw us.  She looked puzzled but instantly she turned grim.  "What are you doing here Riley?" yelled Theresa over the noise?

     "I love Jesus and I want to become a Christian.  I want to be baptized tonight."

     Turning faster than a bull at a rodeo she screamed at me, "You're trying to make my son a religious nut.  Riley can not join your church or ever attend again."

     She capped her ferocity, "DON'T EVER DARKEN OUR DOOR AGAIN!"

     A year or so later when I took Maude home, I walked across the road and hoped they'd let me in.  Theresa opened the door and gestured to a chair.  Leona sat on the couch watching TV.  Riley wasn't there, nor was the Dad.

     "I've thought about you folks lately and wondered how you're all doing."

     Leona was glued to her program and didn't reply.  Theresa, scoffed, "We're doing just fine.  Why wouldn't we be?"

     Her smug coolness dashed my hope of restoring civility.  It was not to be.  After a long silent period I excused myself and went back to say goodbye to Maude.

     "Well how did it go over there?"

     "Theresa let me in but was not friendly at all.
     I asked her how they were all doing."

     "What did she say?"

     "She said, 'We're doing just fine.  Why wouldn't we be?'"

     "Oh did she, huh!  She's not telling the truth."

     "What do you mean?"

     "Riley robbed a store and is in prison."

     I wept all the way home.  I never saw Riley again.  But though the Lord moved me far away I never forgot him.  Nor the sad, very sad, decision Theresa made.

"Don’t be misled: No one makes a fool of God. What a person plants, he will harvest.  The person who plants selfishness, ignoring the needs of others—ignoring God!—harvests a crop of weeds.  All he’ll have to show for his life is weeds!  But the one who plants in response to God, letting God’s Spirit do the growth work in him, harvests a crop of real life, eternal life."  (Galatians 6:7-8, MSG)


Epilogue:  

     When a farmer sows corn seeds he expects the crop to be a billion times greater than that tiny seed.

     We reap what we sow...plus the crop growth.  Like what King David sowed when he lusted for Bathsheba.  He reaped far more than he ever considered.  She got pregnant. He murdered her husband.  The baby died.  His great desire to build the Temple was denied and he lost the respect of his people.

     Even sadder is David's admission and confession in Psalms 51:

1  Have mercy on me, O God,
    according to your unfailing love;
    according to your great compassion
    blot out my transgressions.
2  Wash away all my iniquity
    and cleanse me from my sin.
3  For I know my transgressions,
    and my sin is always before me.
4  Against you, you only, have I sinned
    and done what is evil in your sight;
    so you are right in your verdict
    and justified when you judge.
5  Surely I was sinful at birth,
    sinful from the time my mother conceived me.
6  Yet you desired faithfulness even in the womb;
    you taught me wisdom in that secret place.
7  Cleanse me with hyssop, and I will be clean;
    wash me, and I will be whiter than snow.
8  Let me hear joy and gladness;
    let the bones you have crushed rejoice.
9  Hide your face from my sins
    and blot out all my iniquity.
10  Create in me a pure heart, O God,
      and renew a steadfast spirit within me.
11  Do not cast me from your presence
      or take your Holy Spirit from me.
12  Restore to me the joy of your salvation
      and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me.
13  Then I will teach transgressors your ways,
      so that sinners will turn back to you.
14  Deliver me from the guilt of bloodshed, O God,
      you who are God my Savior,
      and my tongue will sing of your righteousness.
15  Open my lips, Lord,
      and my mouth will declare your praise.
16  You do not delight in sacrifice, or I would bring it;
      you do not take pleasure in burnt offerings.
17  My sacrifice, O God, is[b] a broken spirit;
      a broken and contrite heart
      you, God, will not despise.
18  May it please you to prosper Zion,
      to build up the walls of Jerusalem.
19  Then you will delight in the sacrifices of the righteous,
      in burnt offerings offered whole;
      then bulls will be offered on your altar.
                              (Psalms 51, NIV)
     The Lord is forgiving of each and everyone who returns to him after devastating sin.  He is the most incredible Man ever to walk on the planet.
What Kind of Man 
by Legacy 5



Please comment by clicking "Comments" below.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Larry, so sad. I bet that working with these different people would have given you a lot of compassion -- for both parents and children -- and much food for thought and prayer. ~ Eva Peck

    ReplyDelete