Sunday, October 6, 2019

She Taught Me How To Fly ~ Higher

She Taught Me How To Fly ~ Higher 

     Mrs. Rettig, my 5th grade teacher was of the old school.  She ran the classroom.  Did I say “RAN?”  Yes, she RAN the classroom.  You know, raise  your hand to speak.  Call her only MRS. Rettig.  Be polite.  Earn your playtime or stay in and do school work while the rest of the class went out to play.  She knew how to lay the law down, as we used to say.  But, Mrs. Rettig also had a gracious way about her.

     She believed in her students.  Thinking back now I can see she probably saw more in me than I saw in myself.  She asked me to rewrite papers with, “Larry, you can do better than this.”  Or, when I turned in a science article I can still hear her say, “Go back and study this some more and make sure when you rewrite this that you put it in your own words.  Larry you’re capable of better thinking than this.”

     Honesty was a virtue she insisted upon.  “Larry always listen closely without interrupting.  Then answer honestly without guile.”   As I recall her words I think of a Bible verse:

     “An honest answer is like a kiss on the lips.”  (Prov 22:26, NIV)

     Did you have someone like Mrs. Rettig in your school years?  How do you feel about her now?  Personally, I believe Mrs. Rettig was my best teacher.  I’m thankful she kept urging me to improve.  Kept urging me to do my own thinking.  Kept seeking my best regardless of what my fellow classmates did.

     But, Mrs. Rettig did something even more memorable: she planted seed quotes in my mind.  Those seed quotes have produced quite a crop of results over the years.  It was Mrs. Rettig who first said, “Never judge a man until you’ve walked a mile in his shoes.”  But, Mrs. Rettig’s power seed quote…that I have used as my marching order for the 50 years since she spoke it:
     Any job worth doing is worth doing well.

     She taught me how to fly higher than an eagle.  Her encouragement was heaven sent.

     Is this your philosophy?  Is this the philosophy of your friends and associates?  Wouldn’t our world be a much better place if each of us had this philosophy: Any job worth doing is worth doing well.

     Several years ago America buried a great president.  His son Michael Reagan, fed up and disgusted with the immoral behavior of a more recent president, in and around the oval office, contrasted him to his father.  “When my dad was President he refused to enter the oval office unless he was wearing a suit coat or sport coat.”  It is obvious that President Reagan’s philosophy was Any job worth doing is worth doing well.

     If each of us would follow this simple philosophy amazing things would happen.  Our yard would look manicured. Our automobiles would be tidy and shiny.  Our employers would say, “What has happened to you? Whatever it is…keep it up.”  Our Pastors would say, “Thanks for starting and completing that project. Too many folks don’t follow through.  But you did.” Sinks wouldn’t bulge with dirty dishes.  Garages would actually garage cars again.

     Yes…each of us has seed thoughts that determine who and what we are.  I often write a Thank You note with the phrase: “Thank you for who and what you are.”  Does that sound strange?  The Creator’s Guide book teaches praising others. You are acknowledging that they have reflected upon improving themselves and have made significant gains.

Undesirable Tendencies

Ignoring Good Sense Advice:

“Eat honey, my son, for it is good;
    honey from the comb is sweet to your taste.
Know also that wisdom is like honey for you:
    If you find it, there is a future hope for you,
    and your hope will not be cut off.”    (Prov 24:13-14, NIV)


Not Giving Anything Much Effort:

“So how long are you going to laze around doing nothing?
    How long before you get out of bed?
A nap here, a nap there, a day off here, a day off there,
    sit back, take it easy—do you know what comes next?
Just this: You can look forward to a dirt-poor life,
    poverty your permanent houseguest!”   (Prov 6:6-11, MSG)

Ashamed and Afraid To Ask For God’s Help

“And let the loveliness of our Lord, our God, rest on us,
    confirming the work that we do.
    Oh, yes. Affirm the work that we do!”  (Ps 90:17, MSG)

 

     Seed thoughts are intriguing critters.  Sometimes, in spite of ourselves, they impact our lives with desirable OR undesirable outcomes.




Please comment by
clicking "Comments" below.

5 comments:

  1. "Seed thoughts are intriguing critters." Indeed, and this story/post has a nice collection of good ones. "Sometimes, in spite of ourselves, they impact our lives with desirable OR undesirable outcomes." Also true with a lot of previously unacceptable language and behavior becoming acceptable -- even at government levels, unfortunately. It is our responsibility to discern the nature of seed thoughts surrounding us and if we want desirable outcomes, make sure we plant the good seed thoughts in our lives and not the weeds or thorns that will choke the good outcomes if we let them (Mark 4:18-19).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this! Mrs. Rettig reminded me of my 4th grade teacher. Mrs. Maggie C. Bean!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dave Vigna
    Thanks Larry ... insightful and encouraging!
    Reminder of how powerful seed quotes can be!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Barbara Maness,

    ""Please add me so I can receive these stories regularly."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nancy Ellis
    "THESE ARE WONDERFUL READS.---BE ENCOURAGED."

    ReplyDelete