Saturday, June 6, 2020

The Cure

The Cure


     I would have loved to have seen it.  There was more gold on display than I have seen in my life time.  It took 20 years of hard labor to build and it was beyond stunning!  As it sat there resplendent in its beauty a large crowd gathered for this Temple’s dedication to God.  King Solomon, the wisest king who ever lived, had been its designer.  It was the fulfillment of His deceased father David’s dream. 

     And what a splendid fulfillment it was.  The people were celebrating. The trumpets were playing. Happy Jewish dances were taking place in the street.  But when King Solomon in his impeccably beautiful purple, royal robes, stepped to the podium of the elaborate bronze platform, the celebratory crowd grew quiet.  Especially so as they saw the King drop to his knees, stretch out his hands toward heaven, and begin his nearly 1000 word prayer to the Almighty. (I hope you will read it - 2 Chronicles 6.)

     Following Solomon’s magnificent prayer I love what happened next:

“Fire came down from heaven and consumed the burnt offering and the sacrifices, and the glory of the Lord filled the temple.  Priests could not enter the temple of the Lord because the glory of the Lord filled it.  When all the Israelites saw the fire coming down and the glory of the LORD above the temple, they knelt on the pavement with their faces to the ground, and they worshipped and gave thanks to the LORD, saying, ‘He is good; and his love endures forever.’”  2 Chronicles 7:1-3
     But what happens next brings us to 2020. It brings us to Covid-19 and the ensuing video of a white police officer kneeling on a black man’s throat as the man pleads to breathe and the policeman ignores his whisper and the man dies! It’s a horrible scene, sparking outrage across the country, then onward to much of the world. I too watched it happen and it sickened me.  Following came the response: riots, lootings, deaths of innocent people, and destruction of property.  Not only do we need healing from Covid-19, we need healing in the hearts of Americans of all racial backgrounds.

     Clearly, the Covid-19 is a plague. I believe the resulting riots, mob control, lootings and death are plagues also. It’s a plague upon our nation and its people!

     What are we to do 30 centuries after Solomon and the Israelites dedicated the temple?  If we check a little further in 2 Chronicles 7 we find God’s answer.  It’s just as valid today as it was 30 centuries ago.  Here’s what God says in 2 Chronicles 7:13—14

“If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.”
     There we have it!  This is The Cure.  God calls ALL of His people, no matter their skin color, All of his people, all of us we are followers of Jesus Christ, to humble ourselves, turn from our sins and seek His healing for our land.  The song I learned in Sunday School years ago comes to mind and I believe it with all my heart: “Red, Brown, Yellow, Black and White, we are precious in His sight.”

     Begone Covid!  Begone Riots and Racial Divide!  There’s a mighty movement of God’s people and we are repenting, seeking and praying. God is the keeper of His promises.  Healing is at hand!

Author
Myron Wells*
If My People
Jimmy Owens




*Pastor Myron Wells has ministered for nearly 60 years.  He has been my mentor and friend through thick and thin.  I love you Myron.  ~ Larry Smith


No comments:

Post a Comment