Monday, July 15, 2019

Do You Really Give God Thanks For EVERYTHING?

Do You Really Give God Thanks For EVERYTHING?

When we learn our Cancer is in remission or gone we thank God,
Or our young child is lost and then found safe we thank God,
Or a difficult pregnancy still resulted in a birth of a healthy child,
Or our Airplane has an emergency landing but we got out safely.

It is so natural to pray and be thankful for these outcomes, but what about common occurrences?  The Bible exhorts:
"Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."
(1 Thessalonians 5:16-18, NIV)

"Then He gave them an illustration to show that they must always pray and never lose heart." 
(Luke 18:1)
Years ago I heard Ben Mills (in a Kansas church) praying at a service.  He didn't use "Thee" or "Thou" or other "spiritual sounding" words.  He talked with the Lord as we would talk to a friend.  I never forgot him nor his unique way of praying. 

Over and over after that I yearned to change my praying.  But how?  Even the disciples who walked with Jesus all the time and heard him pray many times couldn't figure it out: "Lord teach us how to pray." 

"Pray continually" challenged my mind.  Is that even possible? Since the Holy Spirit said to do it, I absolutely knew it could be done and trusted that He would show me how.

The Expositor's Commentary
explains it: "Till Christ came, no man ever dreamed of rejoicing always, praying without ceasing, and giving thanks in everything.  There were noble ideals in the world, high, severe, and pure; but nothing so lofty, buoyant, and exhilarating as this."


Asking for understanding an answer came; I was to commune with the Lord about any and everything throughout my waking hours.  Jesus was pleading for me to commune with Him without stopping.  So I began thanking Him daily for any and all common or uncommon events.

For example: "Lord, Thank you for the good night's rest.  I feel so refreshed."  Eating breakfast I said, "Thanks for this nutritious meal."  Driving to work I was nearly broadsided so responded, "Phew!  Thank you Lord."  Returning home after work my 5 year-old daughter jumped into my arms.  "My Lord I love it when she embraces me.  Thank you for giving us such a close-knit family."

While studying His Word I bowed before Him pleading for understanding and confessing my struggles and sins.  He was the Supreme I AM and I was but a man.

Afterwards I chatted all day with my "Friend who is closer than a brother."   I was communing with the sovereign Lord of the Universe about everything.  We were communicating intimately.

"Pray without ceasing" and "In everything give thanks" now made sense and I was filled with joy.

"Thank you Holy Father for giving me these thoughts!"

Listening to "Thank You" by Hillsong filled my heart with joy:


Please comment by
clicking "Comments" below.

1 comment:

  1. I too have practiced this for years...and it is just Amazing how much we actually find in our day to day circumstances to Praise Him For. Even the Bad things that we know He will turn to Good for our Blessings and His Benefit. That is why when Bad things happen we absolutely CAN PRAISE GOD for what seems like a very bad day/or week/or month/or year...for He will turn your mourning into dancing and restoreth your soul. Thanks for your Scriptual Thought and that Beautiful Praise Song. God Bless! P. Smith

    ReplyDelete