Tuesday, September 3, 2019

Coffee With An Angel

Coffee With An Angel

     I never saw her come in.  Why had she sat so close?  Couldn't she see I needed privacy?  What if he called right now?

      I was on edge, to say the least.  I had survived one cancer already but my doctor said "I don't like the looks of this, I'm going to biopsy it... I'll call you Wednesday after 3:00.  My normal optimistic faith had hidden somewhere in a pile of shattered nerves. 

     I had chosen this Barnes & Noble coffee shop to await his call.
Dreading the phone call I was
nesting in a remote corner.  The normal clamor was absent.  There were only a handful of customers.  Quiet.  Private. 

     Eyes closed I was praying.  That must have been when she sat next to me.  I blinked two or three times when I noticed she had two thick books with Science titles that I couldn't hope to pronounce.

     "Looks like you're taking some tough courses," I ventured.  "No, I'm not taking classes... they just looked interesting."

     To this Einstein I jested, "Well I only completed kindergarten so I doubt I can help you."  Maybe she'll get the hint and move.


      Sweetly she demurred, "That's not why I'm here."

      My phone vibrated and I untangled it from my pocket.  It was the doctor, "The biopsy shows it is cancer.  You'll need to..." the rest of his words wafted to nothingness.  It was cancer.  Doctors are always in a hurry.  I must say something the lump in my throat muted my voice.  Struggling to respond our eyes met.  Deep blue penetrating eyes as her calming soft voice whispered, "It'll be
OK.  All will be fine."

      The doctor suggested, "It'd be best to bring your wife.  There are options."  The appointment made, I feebly thanked him.

      "It'll be OK. All will be fine," she repeated.  Why would anyone say that?  How could she predict that?  Who was this enchanting stranger anyway?

      I stood and grabbed a tissue to wipe tears.  I sat down and asked, "Why did you say that?  How could you know..." But I was speaking to ... to... the air.  Silence.

      She was gone.  The huge books were gone.  C'mon, no one could disappear like that.  "Did you see where she went," I asked the barista.

      "Who do you mean?  I haven't seen anyone."

      Days turned into weeks.  Finally we sat in his soft brown leather chairs and heard, "The more I've studied the biopsy you are going to be just fine."  He turned to my wife, "turns out the biopsy shows it is not malignant." But I didn't hear anymore.

      Drifting away in my thoughts I recalled a coffee shop, scientific books, heavenly blue eyes and soft sweet, assuring words, "It'll be OK.  All will be fine."

      Then I recalled, "Don’t forget to be kind to strangers, for some who have done this have entertained angels without realizing it." (Hebrews 13:2, TLB)



Please comment by
clicking "Comments" below.

1 comment: